June 11th, 2007 by papillon
The components for a long planned project of mine finally arrived:
I ordered it with a Core 2 Duo E4300, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB Harddisk, and some silent upgrades. Should be enough for music serving and yet-to-be-defined other tasks. The onboard sound, an Intel HDA with an Analog Devices AD1988 codec, is ok according to the paper specs, but gave me a thourough headache later on, which is another story.
The whole project will be using Linux, specifically Kubuntu. After doing some research, this seems to be the only platform that provides the flexibility that I need for my plans:
- Headless operation
- Web interface to music collection
- Infrared control for basic music control
- Stable platform for the next 5-7 years
- Full control from mobile phone, notebook, desktop PCs
- Basis for later addition of a Squeezebox
- Good price to value ratio, that makes it viable to buy a new PC just for music serving.